Saturday, June 15, 2013

Zero Minutes of Fame…

Another image to share, this one has a fun story behind it.

This photo was taken in Caledon, Ontario at dawn, having left home at around 4 am to reach my destination in time. Although I had a digital camera at the time, I often preferred to shoot film for my landscape work for both colour and black & white.

For several years my images had been represented by a Toronto gallery which rented images to set designers for TV and movies. Imagine my thrill when I received a letter from Twentieth Century Fox asking permission to use this image on set for the movie “The Sentinel” . Of course I said yes!

We went to go see the movie in the first few days of its theatrical release. Could I have missed it in the background of one of the scenes whilst I was concentrating on the plot (which I thought might have been  hard to do given my level of excitement)?

When the movie came out as a rental months later I gave the search another try. Still no luck. If actors could deal with ending up on the cutting room floor certainly I could handle a bit of disappointment.

What made it less disappointing was hearing that the framed image was indeed used in the movie, and one of the actors liked it enough to purchase it for themselves. My gallery wasn’t at liberty to tell me who the purchaser was, but given the secrecy I’d like to believe that the image now resides in the collection of Michael Douglas, Kiefer Sutherland or Eva Longoria.

I may not have had my moment of glory, but it’s always nice to be invited to the party.

sentinel

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0lbmjerqljo1t5/sentinel.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment