Thursday, April 18, 2013

May I Get to Know You?

378 hits and it’s just past 7 p.m.

I’m honoured that so many of you are reading my blog, I’m truly overwhelmed. The numbers of daily visitors over the last few weeks has grown tremendously. My blog stats tell me that about 5-10% are spammers (no, I’m not going to market Rolex watches on my blog for anyone!), but the rest are visitors who came here by choice. Thank you.

This blog was initiated almost four years ago as a way to keep friends up to date on treatments, results (or lack thereof), and general goings-on in our household as they related to my illness. Repeating the same information over and over again in emails and phone calls was taxing for me, and it seemed to be a great solution combining a wish to keep caring friends informed with my love for writing.

It’s grown to be something else. It’s still a vehicle to keep friends up to date, but it’s also become therapeutic for me as my illness progresses – and a way to help relieve the boredom that can set in after spending long hours on my own.

What I miss is the other end of the conversation. Although there are many friends and acquaintances who let me know that they follow my posts, it’s a one sided deal for the most part.

I see my visitor count and I wonder what brings each of you here. What is resonating with you? Are you also facing serious illness? Do we know each other but perhaps haven’t been in contact for awhile (and may I have the privilege of privately catching up with what’s happening in your life?) Is there a subject surrounding serious illness that you’ve been hoping that I’ll raise?

What brought you here today?

Although comments can be posted anonymously here on the blog, I’ve learned that the majority of you prefer to communicate with me in a private email. (sessa1@live.ca) . Either way, I appreciate hearing from you. I really do.

Reminders of life still going on outside of these apartments walls is more welcome and appreciated than I could express in written word.

Thank you to my dear friend D. who offered her encouragement this afternoon to ask “why”. Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment