Monday, July 15, 2013

Toronto, Bite by Bite…

One rough day, or rather another rough day. It’s been weeks of intermittent low grade fever and chills on top of the other shenanigans that my body has been up to (and enough with the hiccoughs already!) It truly can get quite tiresome.

My friends and volunteers consistently offer to bring me whatever edible treats might appeal to me, yet I can’t think of anything in particular that I want. I did have one coincidence a few weeks ago, minutes before a food volunteer arrived I told Suzanna  that I was hankering for some mashed potatoes – lucky me, that was exactly what the volunteer had prepared. Serious comfort food. Seeing as I’m mostly on soft foods and liquids now with a wonky esophagus that doesn’t always cooperate, a little butter (okay, a lot of butter) is a welcome addition to help slide spoonfuls of mashed potatoes on their way.

I passed on Suzanna’s offer this evening to prepare dinner for me before she went out for a few hours, the thought of food just doesn’t appeal to me. Some of you might want to suggest that I should eat anyways, but I know from experience it’s best to leave well enough alone. My body will tell me what it needs, I have to trust it.

Others have expressed regret on my behalf for the foods I’ve had to give up either due to allergies or a rapidly expanding list of intolerances, but surprisingly I generally don’t feel deprived. Who knew there were so many variety of delicious soups on offer?

I can think back fondly on foods that I’ve enjoyed over the years without feeling upset about missing out. It’s not difficult to remember the tastes, textures and aromas – I was without doubt someone who had lived to eat, rather than eaten to live.

I’m taking a wee tour tonight of some of the culinary delights that I’d enjoyed in my home city of Toronto over the years, maybe they’ll bring back some memories for you too. Just please don’t tell me if they’re no longer available? Let me dream a little.

Popsicles from Becker’s convenience store. “Allowance worthy” as a kid, and I continued the tradition with Suzanna on hot summer evenings when she was small.

Beer nuts at the CNE Automotive Building. I never brought home enough bags of them.

Fresh bagels from Gryfe’s. It was my father-in-law who would fetch them when the bakery opened early on a Saturday morning.

St. Lawrence Market, Carousel’s peameal bacon sandwiches. Weather permitting, eaten out on the terrace. Even better if Buskerfest was on.

Jamaican beef patties at the Warden subway station. Totally unlike me to pick up something up at a less than pristine food establishment, but the aroma would haul my behind in there before I could think twice.

The ice cream trucks in front of City Hall. Vanilla chocolate swirl every time.

BBQ pork buns from Chinatown. My apologies to my coworkers who found the aroma irresistible when I’d heat them up for my lunch at work.

Birthday cakes from Chocolada in Thornhill. Hazelnut mousse reigns!

Fruit flans from the Hazelton Cafe. Especially fabulous if kiwi was in season.

Golden Star (Thornhill) burgers and fries. The more of us crammed into a booth the better back in high school.

Harvey’s Frings. Combo fries and onion rings, date night treat with my high school boyfriend.

Ace Bakery, anything on offer except for olive bread. Olives and I are not friends.

Blueberry danishes from Zane Patisserie in the Beaches. Okay, that one I’m still craving on a regular basis. Gluten intolerance be damned, for those I’d gladly bear the discomfort that follows.

Pistachios (the ones with coarse salt) from Arz Bakery. Their baklava is also heavenly.

Pork rinds (affectionately known in our household as German diet pills) from Vienna Fine Foods.

Enrico’s pizza in Scarborough. A hot mess of grease, cheese and pepperoni, but the fun of sneaking Suzanna out of elementary school at lunchtime made it taste better than any other.

There will be other memorable foods that are sure to pop into my head over the next few days, but for now I’ll stop before I start drooling. I’m not yet tempted to have something to eat, but I may yet get there tonight.

2 comments:

  1. The Golden Star! Those fries and gravy were divine and the burgers best I can remember. Can't count the number of times we ate there after midnight...thanks for bringing those tastes back Sandy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since arriving in Canada in 1971 from a small town in the north of England we have not been very fond of the "Big City". I do however remember going to the Buskerfest a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed the,

    St. Lawrence Market, Carousel’s peameal bacon sandwiches. Weather permitting, eaten out on the terrace.

    Sandy, you are in our prayers every morning and often during the day too. We love you and are praying for a miracle. Dave and Anne M.

    ReplyDelete