Wednesday, July 31, 2013

And the Last Sense…

In previous posts I’ve covered off memories of sounds, tastes, smells and the experience of touch in Toronto. Last one, and the hardest – sights. A friend called me out yesterday on dragging my heels on putting this post out, she was absolutely right. Although written weeks ago, I’m having a bit of difficulty in accepting that I’ll never see these sights for myself again. Perhaps a bit ironic having been a photographer, but the reality is that nothing compares to being there – and taking in what the other four senses are being offered at the same time.

Seeing steam rise from the man hole covers downtown. The best angle I’d ever found was looking westward at the Flatiron Building on Wellington Street on a cold winter morning.

The tulips at Edwards Gardens. Visiting was an annual ritual when I was a child, I rarely let a year go by without seeing the stunning landscape when the tulips were in bloom.

The waters of Lake Ontario lapping at the pier of the Leuty Lifeguard Station in the Beaches. Watching ships crawl across the horizon, wondering what distance port they were heading to.

The crowd doing the wave at a Blue Jays game. It wasn’t until after my corporate career that I had the chance to participate, I’d always been with clients in the boxes. Cushy, but nowhere near as fun!

Seeing my name scrawled on a section of concrete that was soon after lifted by a helicopter (named Olga) to the top of the CN Tower. Yes, I’m that old.

I’m going to need some help with this one. Before the CN Tower was built, it was possible to visit the top floor of one of the downtown bank buildings for the best view of the city possible at the time. The viewing area had those big binocular viewers around the perimeter. Does anyone remember the bank? Or how much it cost to go up there?

Canada geese at the lakefront. Anywhere along the lakefront. I wouldn’t be surprised to hear that geese outnumber human residents of Toronto. Just watch where you step!

Dragon boat teams practising on the lake, my favourite vantage point would be near Cherry Beach. Lots of interesting things to be seen over the years at Cherry Beach, not all of them legal!

The view of  Via and Go trains waiting at the platforms at Union Station. I don’t know if it’s since been renovated, the terminal of the station used to take my breath away when a sunbeam would shine a beautiful jumble of light and dark on the polished floor.

The fall colours at Sunnybrook/Wilket Creek/Serena Gundy Parks. The colours seemed more vibrant, the scent of wet leaves making it all that more appealing. I would have loved to have travelled through just once on horseback, I was quite envious when a rider would trot by.

The array of fresh fruits, vegetables, bread, meats and seafood at St. Lawrence Market. Suzanna and I made it a mission to try something new every time we visited. I love that she’ll try any new food at least once!

The wonky multilevel parking lot across from Queen’s Quay. How on earth did it ever manage to get built so unevenly? On my last trip to Toronto last year I noticed that it’s been replaced, it must have been a rogue skateboarder’s heaven before it came down.

The scuff marks on the hulls of the Toronto Island ferries, where they’d grazed against the monster truck tires that were placed along the piers as a buffer for incoming boats.

The whimsical decor of the exterior of the homes on Ward’s Island. I imagine that the people living inside them were at least as colourful in character.

I could truly go on forever with this list, but I’ll end it here. Reminiscing is just getting too hard these days, but something in me couldn’t leave this series unfinished.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy,

    A former teacher and coach of mine turned me to your blog. You see, his daughter has battled the very same disease you are facing, you may even know who I am referring to, but I will not mention names for privacy purposes.

    Coach was very supportive of my own battle with lymphoma and we often exchanged story's of hope and inspiration.

    Don't stop blogging, you may not hear from many of the people whom you are helping, but trust me, it does provide hope that people can still live in the face of adversity.

    I am now a big fan of yours, best wishes.

    Sincerely,

    Jeff Iredell

    ReplyDelete