Sunday, July 28, 2013

A New Home Decor Item…

With my nursing team’s persistence in making sure we do our best to keep me out of the emergency ward, I received a delivery last night at dinnertime (on a Saturday no less) of the IV equipment. When the palliative team comes through with help, they go all out!

Suzanna met the delivery person at the door, in came a rather substantial IV pole and several large boxes. She hasn’t opened the boxes yet, save for putting one bag into the fridge as she’d been directed to do.

As curious as I am as to know what’s inside (I would have thought that several bags of saline, tubing and syringes could easily have fit in half of one of the large boxes), I’ll leave it to my nurse to sort through when she visits tomorrow.

I’m grateful that I’m being looked after so well, but several thoughts comes to mind. Where on earth are we going to put all these supplies? Every nook, drawer and cupboard has been filled. The oxygen concentrator and tanks already take up floor space, my crisis kit has taken over the fridge. There’s just nowhere to put two huge boxes of more supplies.

The second thought is how this apartment long ago stopped looking remotely close to a normal home. Not that it ever truly did, I didn’t have the strength to properly unpack when I moved in last September so much remains in boxes. From the moment of approach to the front door where a sign boldly states that oxygen is in use, the apartment shrieks out that a sick person lives here. A wheelchair at the entry, machines whirring, oxygen tubing snaking down the hall, safety devices in the bathroom.

Now the IV pole. I’m not even sure how it’s going to fit into the bedroom, much less wheel through the doorway into the bathroom. The simply answer is that it’s not – I’ve leave that to your imagination as to how we’re going to tackle that dilemma.

The one thing that makes this all manageable in my head today is the knowledge that the IV is not meant to be a permanent measure at this time, only as an occasional procedure when I need rehydration. At least I’m praying that it’s occasional, that’s up to my kidneys to decide how that plays out.

What to do with the IV pole when it’s not in use? Well, we’ve let our imaginations run as to how to incorporate it into the apartment decor.

Coat rack? Drying stand for fine washables? Year round Christmas tree? Hang cured salamis from it? Magazine rack? Monkey bars for the cats? Monkey bars for me?

As much as I appreciate that my team is trying so hard to keep me here at home as long as possible, today everything is just a little too much in my face for my liking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandy, who cares what the apartment looks like, it's a much healthier environment that the emergency room or a multi bed ward. I am sure you will get used to the new "piece of furniture", it will fit in somewhere, just as you would a new coffee table or a large vase. We still have things unpacked after 16 years so don't feel bad. Join the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a very overwhelming day. Way too much going on, to think about and possibly just overload.

    I will cross my fingers that now that the new addition that it will be neglected most of the time. Maybe just having it around will make it not necessary yo use.

    Sending hydrating thoughts of fresh coconuts your way.... that is if you like them.

    ReplyDelete