Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Hiss, Boom, Bah…

I’m glad that readers enjoyed my last post about favourite flavours coming out of Toronto, tonight I’m remembering some favourite sounds.

This is my classic strategy for pain management – distraction. My body is pushing me to the limits this week; to try to take my mind off of the discomfort I’m doing what works best – making lists. Luckily, it’s a week during which much needs to be put down on paper. Or rather typed into or dictated to a computer, it’s been difficult to accept that holding a pen to paper isn’t working anymore. I can connect the two but getting anything legible out of the exercise is another story.

The squeal of the subway car as it went around the bend at Union Station. That was always sure to wake me up if I’d dozed off on the ride downtown.

The honk of the Toronto Island ferry. Accompanied by the chatter of kids who were having a day excursion to the islands as part of summer day camp. One summer I was one of those chatterers and had a ball. Except I didn’t chatter, I was entirely too shy and was content to let the others increase the decibel level.

The sound of the explosion of sparks that went flying when an audience member was invited to touch the static sphere at the Ontario Science Centre. I got to do it once, and never again wore messed-up hair so proudly!

The neighing, braying, mooing, baaing and general mayhem of the Royal Agricultural Fair.

The wild, seemingly endless honking into the wee hours of the night after the Toronto Blue Jays twice conquered the World Series. I’m pretty sure we still had accompaniment at breakfast the next mornings.

That eerie hollow silence inside the dome of the Planetarium. I do wish that it would have been around to show to Suzanna, she would have loved it!

Sounds of planes taking off at Pearson International Airport. I’m old enough to remember when there was just one terminal, with a parking lot that afforded a wonderful view of the runways. I’d either be really happy that family was about to arrive from Germany, or in tears because we’d had to say goodbye. Truth is, happy or sad – I could be depended upon for tears at the airport.

The shouting out of numbers as my mother and I waited our turn at the German deli. The delight in hearing the different dialects in the conversations between butchers and customers, waiting for the sampling of something delicious that was sure to be offered to me if I remained patient.

The wave of music as my feet led me down Queen Street at the annual Beaches Jazz festival. Within a few hours I’d have the chance to hear a good twenty plus bands, trying to decide which two or three groups would get my money for their CDs. I still listen to one of my favourites, Samba Squad!

The monotone buzz of thousands of conversations happening at once at the One of a Kind Show and Sale. I’m honoured to have once had a booth there myself, backing onto the booth of one of my favourite artists – Stephen Gillberry. Small prints created my Stephen hang above the bed, coming to me as a result of a swap of our work. They get so many compliments!

The whoosh of bicycle couriers speeding by. Their skill in manoeuvring around the city always mesmerized me. And kind of terrified me. I was tempted to start drinking coffee so that I could hang out at Jet Fuel on my lunch hour so that some of their coolness could rub off on me. The nerd in me prevailed and I stayed away.

The clop of hooves on the pavement as the police on horseback swept by. What glorious creatures they are! The horses I mean. Sometimes the policemen too. Now I’m blushing.

The sheer “boomosity” (yup, made that up) of the music cranked up before a band arrived on stage at the old Maple Leaf Gardens. “Chain Gang” will forever remind me of Billy Joel. He was running late, and apparently that was the only song that the sound technician had lined up. Okay by me.

Let’s leave out my screaming my head off on the Flyer rollercoaster at the Ex. And at Wonderland. And I suppose I can’t leave out the log flume at Toronto Island. I know I’ve said that I was a quiet child, but that wasn’t entirely without exception.

Any memories that you’d like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment