Saturday, February 16, 2013

Take Five Minutes…

“People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.”

Abraham Lincoln

A few of my friends and family members are going through a heck of a rough stretch lately. Serious illness, financial troubles; for some it seems that each day brings another another unwanted challenge. Yes, I do count myself in all these categories, if you’ve followed this blog you know that it’s been a really rough go for both my me and my daughter. I wish I could tell you that the onslaught has slowed down, but it has not.

The friends and family that I speak of now astound me. Even though we’re discussing some deeply troubling issues, they still have a light hearted lift in their voices, still speak of happy things in their lives, still laugh with me about the silly and mundane.

I had several lengthy conversations this week with others about happiness. The quote noted above from Abraham Lincoln is one that I remind myself of often, and have shared many times. Just more often than usual this week as I note how many of the friends surrounding me at this point in my life seem to subscribe to this philosophy.

Yesterday, a large number of people would have seen a middle aged woman (ouch, it hurt to write that little truth!), bundled up with a grocery basket in her lap as she sat in her wheelchair, oxygen tubes in her nose, oxygen tank fighting with the grocery basket for room. Pushing her was a lovely bundle of energy who always has a genuine and warm graciousness about her.

As others on our journey complained about the cold outside, the bitter wind and how miserable the week had been – what they might have missed was the sheer bliss I was experiencing at that moment. I was out. Icy or not, it was finally fresh air on my face (even though it was just a few minutes out in the parking lot). After months of anticipation, I was finally in the company of more than a couple of humans at once. They may not have been interacting with me (I refer to an earlier post about how one becomes invisible in a wheelchair), but I was out in public at long last. I pray that nobody looked at me with pity, it’s not something I was feeling for myself.

I feel like I share a delicious secret with many of the people who are currently in my life. That true happiness can be found in between all the crap that happens in life. Very few escape challenges and lows in a lifetime. It reminds me of when I’ve had the flu or a cold, experiencing the relief that comes when I can breathe easily again or my appetite has returned. Sometimes you just need to appreciate the moments that are absent of pain or discomfort.

Of course I complain about tough challenges, I’m unlikely to stop. Nor should anyone, in moderation it sure lightens the load when you can share your burdens.

But if you’re not already in the population who can find happiness in the little things, I implore you to set aside five minutes to appreciate the good in your life. The feel of a warm sweater, the taste of a favourite food, the hug from a loved one. And the opportunity to hug the ones you love. I hope you can truly appreciate that last one (I apologize if I’m coming across as sanctimonious, but on this last point I especially believe that I know of what I preach).

You can decide that every day will hold a moment to be singled out and appreciated. You might find that there are more of them to be found that you might have believed.

And now, I’m going to hug the person whom I love most of all. Having her home for the next week brings me more happiness than I could possibly express!

No comments:

Post a Comment