Saturday, February 2, 2013

Love Me, Love My DNR…

I was chatting with a friend from the UK on Skype this afternoon (I love where playing Words With Friends has led me!) when I mentioned that I was working on a new blog post with controversial subject matter (with a smile and a hint of sarcasm he quickly piped in “Sandy, you? Controversial?”)

Most days I don’t have enough energy for rousing conversation or debate anymore, but there is a subject that creeps more and more into daily life out of necessity. I’m going to shove this one heartily into the arena.

Please offer your loved ones an immense gift (despite this being a very difficult task for most) and share what your wishes for care  and final arrangements are should you become seriously ill and/or incapacitated. Most of the people who are aware that I have documented my decisions regarding my care agree that the conversation is an important one to have, yet themselves have not discussed their wishes with the people closest to them. Let me add a request to please get your will sorted out, you’ll save your family what might possibly be no end of distress and confusion (and I have a few lawyers to recommend should you not already have one).

Given my current state, many conversations with nurses and other health care professionals start off asking if my “Do Not Resuscitate” order is still in effect, and easily accessible on my fridge and in my purse. Yes. Yes it is. It can be a tiresome question to answer, but one that I’m glad continues to be asked.

I’m grateful that this subject is discussed with compassion and concern, it confirms that my health care team shares my commitment to what my final wishes are (and I’m free to change the plan if I so desire at any point).  More so however, I’m  grateful that my daughter won’t be faced with difficult decisions should I be incapable of communicating.

There’s a plan incorporating emergency access to my apartment, notifying my family doctor instead of calling 911 (to avoid a circus of emergency responders whose assistance wasn’t required), what measures may be taken if I’m in a bad state – all written and accessible. There’s even a government provided crisis kit in my kitchen with medications that would ease any extraordinary discomfort, some of which I can self administer or have a nurse deliver to me in my final weeks, days or hours. There’s a fair likelihood that I’ll be on my own when these matters need to be addressed, it’s entirely possible that I could be relying on a stranger to open up that manila envelope attached to the side of my fridge.

I’ve become a big fan of podcasts, my desire to keep learning hasn’t diminished. Most of my learning is unrelated to my illness, but occasionally there are presentations of relevance to my situation. And if you’re breathing (which I suspect that most of you are), relevant to you as well.

Allow me to share with you two podcasts that coincidentally came to my attention today.

The first comes from WNYC’s Radiolab “The Bitter End”

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/shorts-the-bitter-end/id152249110?i=129075366&mt=2

(it leaves to wonder if I should reconsider a tattoo?)

The second from CBC’s White Coat, Black Art “Do Not Resuscitate”

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/do-not-resuscitate/id270907475?i=126113393&mt=2

As I reread this, I haven’t really even touched upon the controversial part of what I had planned to write. Another day. Today, just a plea to do something very important with, and for your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment