Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Celebrating Victories, However Hollow They May Seem…

Before I launch into some news that came along today, I wanted to share an article that touched me deeply when I read it for the first time yesterday. It comes from a mom and wife facing metastatic breast cancer. It appears that I’m completely unable to get to the last words without shedding tears no matter how many times I read it over.

So much of what is written in this post hits home. A heartbreaking talk between mother and daughter about the illness, and about sharing her struggles  publicly. It’s about fear, courage and love and so much more.

I could say more, but I’m just going to share this link and leave it at that. Family and friends who know more about my personal situation than what I can share here may understand why this post has been so difficult for me to digest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-b-adams/conversation-parents-kids-cancer_b_2622619.html

Now for my news. After a long struggle with social services, my ex’s insurance company and suppliers I received word this morning that I’m finally going to get a wheelchair that fits me, and has the features required to allow me escape from this apartment. Lots of help required, but I’m going to be able to visit the outside world again fairly soon. Wherever shall my first destination be? I’m long overdue for a visit to my Toronto medical team, but that certainly won’t be the first place on my wish list.

A victory? I’m celebrating – and my friends are conducting the online equivalent of a riotous stadium cheer for the hometown team’s trouncing of the opposition – but put in context, how is this a win? What has this situation come to that we’re thrilled to get a piece of equipment which further cements the reality of my declining health? Why months to get to this point?

It seems a hollow victory indeed as I stand back. It’s been a tough lesson in economics, number crunching and bureaucracy. A fair percentage of the daily challenges I face are. It’s often only when a plea for compassion is extended that rules are bent. And they are bent, it’s sometimes the only way things gets accomplished around here.  I detest asking for special favours of others, to be singled out – but I’m learning that it’s how the game is played to get what ought to instead be standard issue. Still lots of shortfalls and more mountains to climb. At least now I have wheels to make the physical part of the attempts somewhat easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment