Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Making Lemonade...

Maybe you're expecting me to offer up the adage "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade" - certainly a philosophy I try to follow but really, I'm going to make lemonade.

Despite a lot of challenges happening in my life (when is it not a roller coaster?) I wanted to share some of the lighter moments of the last few weeks. Some of these references might make no sense at all to you; in that case just ignore them - there are thank you messages in here for friends whom I know might be shy about me being any more specific.

Today a new friend dropped off a bag of my very favourite fruit, Meyer lemons - never having heard of them but he had read on Facebook how excited I was that they were back in season. Along with that a jar of Nutella (have I ever mentioned that particular obsession on the blog?) and also very thoughtfully, a new pain cream to try out. Never having tried to make lemonade with Meyer lemons before, it's high time I tried a glassful. As for the rest, they'll be impetus to actually cook something for myself this week (as terrific as the donated meals have been, I want to break out my pots and pans!)

A friend's Mom wanted to make sure that I was able to get something for myself that falls into the category of "I would like" rather than the basics that my very strict budget allows. A very generous gift which allows me a few treats that I've had to take out of my budget. First on the list? Some new sweaters and a pair of colourful shoes! 

My wheelchair arrived this morning (which will be invaluable in hunting down those sweaters and shoes...) I'm getting coaching on how to pull off a decent wheelie, something to practice when I can't sleep at night perhaps? Two additional assistive devices have been generously purchased by friends. One will be helping me avoid waking up with the "night gasps" (which are frightening episodes I could do without, thank you very much) with the purchase of the bed wedge, and another pair of friends are helping to ensure I can get more safely into the tub every morning. 'Cause the bathroom floor is hard and I break easily now!

Yesterday was quite a therapeutic afternoon, sitting by a campfire with a friend as we fed the fire. I brought the fuel. And for those who know where I was, the answer to the question is green and yellow.

An aforementioned friend enlisted the help of another to take me on another delightful virtual New York City excursion. There may be a few too many photos floating around of me as the Statue of Liberty, the one with the pumpkin I have to blame on the volunteer who leads me into the most trouble (but darned fun trouble...)

Six Feet Under, Season One with more to come. Yes, the person who loaned the DVDs to me can also see the humour in this. The funniest part is that it was her suggestion (I'm grateful that she so often forgets that I'm not well and we can laugh about the irony together).

There are so many other wonderful moments, but I'll finish with one that will be a long lasting reminder of what joys can be found in the midst of the messes. In my lap sits the cutest and furriest four pounds of adorableness, my new kitten Scrabble. My conversation with the group of palliative volunteers finally pushed me over the edge to adopt a wee companion, I recognized that I truly need to be needed. I need to care for someone to feel useful, and this little guy needs me. 

What has warmed my heart the most is that whenever a loud noise comes from the industrial area situated behind me, Scrabble makes a made dash for the safety of my lap. Being trusted as a safe place is the best feeling ever. And the tickling I get when he insists on licking under my chin in the middle of the night puts a big smile on my face too.




No comments:

Post a Comment