Monday, September 17, 2012

Unpacking Revelations - Perhaps Moving This Time?

I had to find a home for a great deal of my material possessions when we had to leave the house back in June, some of which were really difficult to part with. Most of my photography equipment, plenty of books, lots of kitchen items. Much was donated and although I hope items found a home with people who would find value in them, it was still a difficult exercise to whittle a lifetime down to what would fit into a small storage space and later a small apartment. And now I do it again with the realization that all this stuff just isn't going to fit into our new home.
 
As I unpack there are moments of regret in thinking of how much I'd like to still have a particular item. It's happened more than once this week that I think of a book I'd like to look at as I'm curled up in bed and realize I'd sold it. A print I'd like to hang on the wall and know that it now hangs in someone else's home. What's done is done and I can't hang on to moments of sadness about the tough decisions my daughter and I had to make to lessen our footprint and to find some cash during a time when not a cent was coming our way.
 
What has become clear to me is that I hung on to some of the "right" things, and darn it - these things are going to see the light! The good towels that I'd found on sale a good ten years ago that I'd stored away under the guest bed, taking out only when I indulged in the rare leisurely bath. They now become the everyday towels because darn it, I deserve it!
 
The bevy of servingware that was gifted by my aunt in Germany at the time of my first marriage. The good silverware, the beautiful platters - they're all getting out for a walk on a regular basis rather than coming out only at Christmas time. Even if it's just me.
 
Tonight I opened up the boxes of clothing that had gone into storage (it was only a suitcase worth that I took to our temporary home, thinking it would only be a couple of weeks). A rush of sadness in realizing that there are pieces that I feel great in when I wear them, but their season has passed and they need to be put away until the warm weather returns next year. But my favourite sweaters? They're going to get worn this winter until they fall apart! The blankets given to me by dear friends? Pile them on! At the very least I'll not be cold this winter :-)





No comments:

Post a Comment