Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Moving Revelations Part III

Move accomplished, however the unpacking part is far from over - there's just not enough space to put our things. I'm going to have to deal with it slowly over the next few weeks and months. Just look past the wall of boxes if you come to visit, I'm in there somewhere! Two days into radiation and I'm already beyond exhausted - but I'll take a few minutes to offer up my third and final set of moving revelations. I would have offered them up earlier but the internet installation last week didn't stick. And I've been told that this building has unreliable connectivity; the joys of an old building.

There's something you should know about the paper that's used to wrap dishes and other breakables. It comes in a reasonably sized (albeit very heavy!) package, yet by some miracle once it's been used it explodes to a gazillion times its original volume. And it keeps growing! I'm hopeful that sometime tomorrow I'll find the kitchen.

Rolls of toilet paper made wonderful padding when packing fragile items - but when you unpack, what you have left over is a heck of a lot of toilet paper. Maybe I'll make a dividing wall with it to give my daughter some privacy when she's home from school. I'll bet that I'll be the only one in the building with anything like it!

I came this close to not keeping the bed that I love so much, by some miracle our movers were able to get the headboard around a tight corner into the bedroom after forty five minutes of most strenous effort and trying every conceivable angle. They deserved a big hug for persevering, and they each got that along with a big kiss on the cheek to boot. I love my bed that much (and the fact that they're handsome young men whom I adore took away any hesitation in showing my appreciation)!

Bless my friend K for reminding me that she needed moving boxes - I got out of the job of cutting up lots of cardboard into 2 x 2 foot pieces. I suspect that they would have sat there in my hallway for a very long time had she not rescued them today :-)

I have friends who love to see me eat, and eat well at that. Two deliveries today of delicious goodies and one yesterday, maybe I should go through radiation more often!

Feeling very retro. The super in my building hooked me up to the antenna today so that I could get a few TV channels. Out of 158 units, only ten of us don't have cable, and I got the last port. So anyone else who moves into this building - sorry, it was me who kept you from the experience that is antenna TV.

I wish I'd visited my new place during a weekday before committing to it. For the last two days there's been the screeching squeal of metal on metal, hour upon hour - I need someone to help me find the nearby source so I'll at least  know what led me to drive spikes into my eardrums. However difficult it might be to get on my knees, I'll be down there praying tonight that this is a temporary assault to the senses.

The recyling room in the basement of the building gives me an uneasy feeling (or as my daughter says, it's so sketchy!) But I do go down there alone little hesitation - after all, what else could possibly happen to me? It's already been a life beyond the scope of what seems possible - wouldn't it make quite a story to hear of me murdered while attempting to be ecologically responsible?

No comments:

Post a Comment