Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Seven Injections and Doing Just Fine

I'm getting used to the shots. Really.

After seven of them I find it easy to quickly poke the needle in, push the syringe and before I know it I'm done. Yes, it does hurt a wee bit for about ten minutes but given the improvement I'm already seeing the small amount of discomfort is well worth it.

It's way too early to say if this experiment is a success (I'm still experiencing some bone pain and my local cardiologist heard the pericarditis still active at yesterday's appointment) but I'm quite impressed for what the Kineret has done so far.

For the last year I'd become increasingly arthritic. I was avoiding stairs whenever possible, and walking even short distances was taking me much longer. Plus I'd be paying for it afterwards with significant joint pain and stiffness, especially the last few months when that first swing of my legs out of bed in the morning told me that I was in for a painful day.

Perhaps I'm exaggerating when I say this - but it does feel like I'm bounding about the last few days. I'm easily tackling the stairs with armloads of laundry, even getting some holiday shopping done with my daughter yesterday - and she didn't have to walk at a snail's pace for me to keep up with her!

I'm feeling "normal-ish". I can't tell you the last time that I felt so able. I'm certainly not up to the pace of a few years ago but not being reminded that I'm ill every time I move has been a tremendous blessing.

I've yet to experience the injection site reaction that is very common with Kineret, the nurse at the hospital told me it's likely to start up within a week or so. Just hang in there for that first month when things can get a bit nasty and I should be in for an easier time after that.

Time to just enjoy what's happening right now. We don't know if this will get rid of the pericarditis or help with the bone pain; only time will tell. But I'm feeling very optimistic! What a tremendous Christmas present that's been given to me. To the three of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment