Saturday, July 11, 2009

Conquering Fear

When I speak with good friends about the prognosis of my illness, I'm always quick to point out that I'm not afraid to die. Hoping of course that this outcome is a long way off, but the truth of the matter is that this illness has manifested itself in my heart - and I kinda need that part to keep going!


I'm not sure how I arrived at this lack of fear of my life ending, and we could probably speak at length about why someone would or wouldn't be afraid. Maybe the nurturing part of me needs my loved ones to know that I'm not fearful, that it will help them in dealing with this. Maybe I am truly as content with my life as I think I am. Spirituality can play a big part in this sense of peace, that's a post for another day.


You may come to realize reading this blog how important my photography is to me (there's a connection here, bear with me). I immerse myself in learning every day, and one of my favourite resources is Lenswork magazine. Every two months I anxiously await delivery of the Extended version on DVD, and spend hours looking at the beautiful images, and listen to interviews with the photographers.


One favourite feature is publisher Brooks Jensen's podcasts, and in the most recent issue he included one called "Managing Fear". Before I share the link (these podcasts are available for free on the Lenswork website), I'll add that the photographer that you'll hear is Camille Seaman (her images are absolutely stunning, check out her Iceberg portfolios, link is below).

This podcast felt particularly poignant today for me. I may not be afraid of dying, but there are still a few things in my life that I want to no longer fear. Maybe her point will strike a chord with you too.

"Managing Fear" podcast: http://www.lenswork.com/podcast/LW0510%20-%20Managing%20Fear.mp3 (it's only a couple of minutes long)

Camille Seaman's website: http://www.camilleseaman.com

Lenswork Magazine: http://www.lenswork.com/

And just maybe one day you might see my images in Lenswork. That short bucket list of mine does include making a submission of my own!

3 comments:

  1. Sessa--

    From what I've seen of your photos, you should not hesitate in making that submission...

    Let us know.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. Your work is beautiful. What are you waiting fore?

    ReplyDelete