Monday, July 20, 2009







After not working for almost five months (because of my leg surgery and subsequent recovery time) I was gnawing at the bit to get back to photographing. I didn't expect to be further delayed by that (yes, still very present) case of pericarditis that has required copious amounts of prescription drugs, the side effects of which have further delayed my return to a full work schedule.

I'm beyond pleased these days when I'm feeling well enough to shoot a portrait session, but the reality is that I have to take this very slowly. Thank goodness I have some very understanding clients! I had a fantastic session this past Sunday and felt on top of my game, and the photos came out really well. I pay for it by being quite tired for a few days afterwards. Totally worth it though for the few hours of bliss!

I'm hard on myself about this light work schedule. I love productive work days, they give me great satisfaction. When I was well I was always working on something photographic. Shooting, retouching, preparing images for the galleries that represent my work, self-publishing a book, and always learning. If I was on my computer, 95% of the time it had something to do with photography!

A few weeks ago a good friend to our family called to check in on how we were doing. At the time I was having a rough day, and this sage friend told me that he did understand how much I must miss working, but dealing with my illness was now my job.

At the time I agreed in theory, but it's taken a few weeks for this to sink in. I'm starting to understand that my job now is to take the best possible care of myself that I can; to consult with my doctors, research my illness, and follow through with my treatments. And given how driven I can be with whatever I set my mind to, my current objective is to be the best patient I can be - with the goal of achieving the best possible outcome for this illness. Hopefully photographing will be a bigger part of my life again soon, I miss it more than I can explain in words.


The first photo was taken after a hospital visit last week. I was so exhausted from my trip into the city, yet I felt I had to walk about with my camera for a bit and came across this artwork on the wall of a church under restoration. The second photo was taken in a downtown office building, the reflections are what caught my eye. Both images uplift me for different reasons, I'm trying very hard to keep looking up! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Sessa-
    An artist's eye is always on the lookout for beauty and finds it in things that most of the rest of us don't even take notice of. The photos are lovely. And you know what I find uplifting?... You.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely words Sessa. Beautiful photographs. Keep at it.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete