Sunday, June 21, 2009

Trying not to eat my cereal bar wrapper...

It's day 4 on Prednisone, overall not so bad so far!

I had a bit of a rough start with a fever on the first night, my doc had me go for blood tests at the local lab just to make sure all is ok (Prednisone reduces resistance to infection, any fevers should be investigated asap). All was in order, it must have been just one of those things, in fact the fever has returned a few times now but I don't feel ill with any other symptoms.

Minor side effects have included a touch of nausea and stomach pain, a bit of dizziness, and lack of sleep (last night was less than 3 hours, and not much better on the previous nights). Oh, and the infamous Prednisone mood swings kicked in last night for the first time, bless my family for not slapping me silly for being so weepy and miserable for a few hours there! They know exactly when I need a joke and a hug to feel a bit better.

And now for the good stuff - unbelievable energy (my family hasn't seen me move this fast since pain from the bone tumour started up last summer), No pain in either my chest (from the pericarditis) or in my leg (from the tumour), and I've actually dropped a bit of the weight that I'd put on while taking other meds over the last few months. Normally Prednisone can pack the weight on quickly. I'm prepared that this will likely still happen but for now I don't mind the lower number on the scale!

The hardest part is the intense hunger that kicks in just after lunch and sticks with me until I go to bed. A hunger like I've never experienced before. Really. Don't leave any food laying about, 'cause if you were saving it - it's history if I catch sight of it. Closed kitchen cupboards are my friend right now, in fact locks might not be a bad idea. I'm trying very hard though to keep to normal portions and calorie intake, and hopefully I'll be able to keep the expected weight gain from getting out of control.

Off now to put this energy to good use, anyone need their garage cleaned out? Oops, I guess I should start with our own...

2 comments:

  1. Does the hunger subside in time or is in a constant presence? I know that sometimes when I am writing, I'll cut up some celery or carrots just to have something to chew on, as I type away, and of course coffee or water! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sessa,

    So glad to hear your energy has returned and that the pain has lessened. That HAS to make up for the hunger pangs, no? Do your best to eat balanced foods and to hell with worrying about gaining a few pounds, I say. Stay wonderful.

    --Rita

    ReplyDelete