Thursday, June 25, 2009

It took me a week to find this funny...

In my last post I mentioned that I'd had a bit of trouble with my first day on Prednisone, requiring some quick blood tests to try to explain a fever that cropped up. What I didn't tell you is what a baby I was about one of the tests!

In just one more of the weird coincidences that keep cropping up of late, it turned out that the doctor staffing my local walk-in clinic that evening last week is the wife of my regular cardiologist (sad to say, I have several looking after various cardiac complications).

As required, I gave her a bit of background on my medical status and she mentioned that her husband would find my diagnosis intriguing. We put a few pieces together to realize that not only was I her husband's patient, I'd seen him just a few days before going on the Prednisone. She called him to get his slant on what should be done next - my luck in getting amazing medical care continues!

Back to my test. Along with standard bloodtests, the doctor said I needed to have a throat swab done to check for infection. I paled, backed up, and quickly blurted out that I'd pass on that one - thank you very much! With gentle persistence and an explanation of why this test was important (and assurance that she - the clinic doctor - was really good at doing this test) I finally allowed her to quickly swab - with my husband holding my hand (and a tear in my eye).

If you know me well, you'd probably find this as surprising as my husband did at the time. I'm proud to say that I can be one brave soul. Some pretty tough issues have tested me in this lifetime, and I seem to be able to handle them with a smile on my face. But a silly little throat swab made me run!

Thanks for not making me feel stupid for my fear Dr. S, and thanks to my sweet husband for holding my hand. For a few minutes I felt like a terrified, wide-eyed three year old. Goodness, I think most three year olds would have handled the test much better! Yes, I'm as quirky as all that...

2 comments:

  1. Quirks are what make us human, Sessa. Nothing to be embarassed about, we all have 'em. And good on your husband for holding your hand.

    :-) Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice husband for holding your hand!

    ReplyDelete