Monday, June 15, 2009

Peering out the window...

As a landscape photographer, I spend a lot of time outdoors. At least I did before I got sick. And now I spend most of my time indoors because I'm either recovering from a surgery, trying to deal with side effects from various meds that I'm on or just too darned tired to get myself out the door.

And this hurts. Warm weather has finally arrived in my corner of the world and I'm sidelined most days. I'm aching to be outside. Taking walks with my family, tending to the garden (not my favourite job, but the being outside part suits me just fine!) and photographing. I used to think nothing of hauling myself out of bed in the wee hours to arrive at my destination before the sun rose just to get that perfect light for my photograph (and it was usually darned cold too, but totally worth it)!

I know this is temporary (no more surgeries scheduled for now, and I'm confident that the next round of meds will finally get rid of a nasty case of pericarditis that's been taunting me) but I can't help think about when I do get outside I need to make every moment count. I'm hoping it's still quite a few, but I just don't know how many summers are left for me to appreciate.
It's ironic that as a child I'd much rather have curled up in my room with a good book; getting outdoors simply didn't interest me. Somewhere along the line I started to see just how beautiful this world is in its colours, shapes and textures and felt the pull to capture it all with my camera. And now I just can't get enough.

Ok, I'll admit this has kinda been a "feel sorry for myself" day. They don't happen often, but it happened today. I'm feeling worn out, and upset that I'm wasting time doing much of nothing right now.
I leave you with a photograph taken a few years ago. I'll be back out there again soon. Promise.

2 comments:

  1. Sessa--

    That's a stunning photograph. I can certainly understand how difficult it must be to be restricted in your creative endeavours. Nature and the world will wait until you're ready and able to get back out there, and we'll look forward to seeing more of your superb work when you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photograph is beautiful. You have an incredible talent and your outlook on life is quite a gift for you and your loved ones. I have always been particularly fond of photographs without people; especially in black and white. I love landscapes and architectural images. I can't wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete