Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gratitude cont'd

If you've been following my posts for awhile, you'll know that it was my intention to remain anonymous for a number of reasons. I'd like to continue to protect the privacy of my family, and I'd rather my clients didn't know about my illness unless necessary so I don't mention the name of my company.


However, there are two details that I'm ready to share for an important reason, which I'll explain in a moment.


1) I live just outside of Toronto, Canada. You might have already figured that out from a few photographs, or my recent reference to our hometown baseball team. I'm being treated by the Toronto University Health Network, a group of hospitals affiliated with the University of Toronto medical school.


2) I've been diagnosed with a rare illness called Erdheim Chester Disease. There's lots of (mostly scary) info on ECD on the internet, but if you're interested in learning more from a reliable source let me direct you to http://www.erdheim-chester.org/ . This organization has been immensely helpful in providing our family with information and support. ECD is the type of illness that could easily fall through the cracks, or be misdiagnosed without the keen diagnostic skills that are resident at top hospitals.


The reason I've chosen to share this information today is gratitude. My lead doctor whom I've mentioned frequently on this blog is being honoured for his exceptional contributions to the medical community, particularly as an educator. He, together with another of my doctors established The Centre for Excellence in Learning and Practice (CEEP) at Toronto Western Hospital, this is the team that takes such great care of me.

As part of the celebration later this month honouring Dr. H, donations are being accepted to fund important projects for his team (Harvey needs skin! See the link below, and my post of Sept. 3rd) . I'm usually uncomfortable soliciting donations, but many of you have asked what you can do to help and unless I mention this, you won't know about it!


Visit http://www.learningfromthemaster.ca/ if you'd like further details. Donations can me made on line here.


Things could have gone so very differently for me after finding the bone tumour almost a year ago. Trust your instincts, and be your own advocate. We all deserve the best medical care that our country has to offer, and I'm grateful to be a recipient.

No comments:

Post a Comment