Monday, September 14, 2009

But I was being careful!

Last February I had a bone biopsy done on my right femur just above the knee. Three months of bedrest & crutches to allow the bone to heal a bit. However, a good portion of the tumour is still there, and I've had my heavy handed warning from my surgeon - take it easy on that leg! No jumping, running, twisting - the bone is still unstable and a fracture could happen if I'm not careful.

The plan is to stabilize the bone later on with another surgery, and in my quest to keep working through my busy season of September - December I'm hoping to hold off at least until the new year (this surgery will keep me off my feet for about five months, I have to get mentally prepared for this!)

I've done a pretty good job of doing as the doctor said. I caught myself running the other day during a photo session (a two year old moves so darned fast!) and cursed under my breath - why can't I remember something so simple?

Last night I wanted to take some laundry detergent to the basement. Two small jugs with handles, and being cautious I held both in one hand so that I could hold the railing with the other. No idea what happened next, but I in the next moment found myself in a heap at the bottom of the stairs (only three steps, it could have been worse with all the stairs in our house!) I yelped in pain, both my husband and daughter came running. S. got an icepack, husband sat with me until I could test out my ankle. A bruise quickly appeared on the side of my foot (have steroids to thank for that, look at me the wrong way these days and I'm black and blue!)

As the evening progressed, it wasn't so much my ankle that hurt but the area where the tumour sits was throbbing. Had I jarred my leg enough with the fall to do some damage? I would have kicked myself, but that's off limits too...

Both ankle and surgery site are better this morning, but I some days I detest living like this. Treating my body as if it were made of china. Wondering what each day will bring. Trying to live a normal life that most days is pretty far removed from normal. I want to be better, but know that I have to appreciate today because we have no idea whether tomorrow, next week or next year will be any better than right now.

2 comments:

  1. Cripey, Sessa, that was a close call. Glad that it's healing up today, and tread carefully from here on!

    ReplyDelete