Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Crows Must Know a Little Something About Storms

It's a been a summer with lots of rain, and recently lots of thunderstorms. Love thunderstorms, I can sit and watch them for hours.

There's a big storm skirting us just to the north with ominous, churning dark clouds. It doesn't sound like we'll get the brunt of it, but I'm enjoying the skies and hearing the wind blow (my apologies to one faithful reader of this blog who doesn't care for storms in the least, I'm glad it's far away from you D.!)

I've mentioned the apple orchard behind our house in a previous post and how much I like looking out my bedroom window at the changing trees. As I was checking out the clouds, I noticed five large crows huddled together on the branch of a dead apple tree. They're close enough that I can see their tail feathers bristling in the wind, they look cold (even though it's very hot and humid right now).

Why situate themselves out in the open on a dead branch taking the full force of the wind? There's shelter in the forest a mere 10 second or so flight away, I would think that the crows would be much better off there.

Maybe they know something that I don't about facing a storm full on.

During the time it took me to write this post the storm has turned and hit us afterall. It looks like those video clips of hurricanes in the tropics. The rain seems to be coming at us horizontally, yet those crows still sit out there (although I can hardly see them in the driving rain).

I think I'd still rather be in the forest, sometimes it feels good to hide away from whatever onslaught is coming my way. Just to get out of the driving rain for a short while. Think about it crows.

1 comment:

  1. Though I am not a fan of storms, I love your description of the entire scene. It's been one of those summers alright and perhaps there is something to learn from those crows.

    ReplyDelete