Saturday, August 22, 2009

Another Year

It's my birthday today. Time to change my age on the header of the blog - yup, 45 years young. Most days I can't believe that I've spent so much time in this body (and other days I'm feeling so much older - these drugs that I'm on have a way of making my body feel ancient!)

As people often do around their birthdays I like to evaluate where I am in my life. Am I where I wanted to be at this age? Have I accomplished what I'd set out to do? When I worked in the corporate sector we regularly evaluated our short and long term objectives, and it was a good time to review my personal goals as well.

Short and long term planning has taken on a whole new meaning for our family in the last year. Really, there is no plan anymore. Appreciate the good days, try to get through the rough ones with grace and good humour.

I woke up this morning feeling very grateful. The two people who mean more to me than I could ever tell you wished me happy birthday with big hugs. They're with me through the best and worst (and we know that this could be just the tip of the iceberg) of this illness, celebrating when I feel great and always at my side when I think that I just can't do it alone. And I don't have to. I'm so very blessed.

We spend lots of time at the hospital and often notice how many patients don't have anyone with them. Some have difficulty with mobility, others are obviously distressed and some just look lonely.

Having had a major health crisis many years ago when I was on my own, I think I can fully appreciate how much it can mean to have someone by your side when ill. I know it means everything to me now to be able to lean on my husband and daughter for support (and best of all to share when I'm feeling pretty good!)

Not that everyone wants to share details of their illness, but if you happen to have a friend who is not well and dealing with hospital visits, uncomfortable tests or treatments - please ask if you can accompany them sometime. I'd bet that in most cases, the patient has just felt too uncomfortable asking for a shoulder to lean on. It can make a bigger difference in their day than you might ever imagine.

4 comments:

  1. happy b-day my friend. i hope you have a lovely, sun and beautiful day today...
    and i wish that for you for many years to come ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy B-Day Sessa! May the year ahead be filled with only good things for you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Sessa-

    You are indeed blessed, as are those lucky enough to be in your life. The best gift is love, and you have it.

    Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated b'day. I hope it was filled with love and good cheer. Your post touched me deeply. In the midst of everything in your life here you are thinking of others less fortunate. You have a very kind soul. I wish you many blessings. -Kat

    ReplyDelete