Friday, September 13, 2013

Breaking Bad-ly, Take Two…

An indication that I’m overly tired these days, I strayed away from a point I’d intended to make in the last post. One about the Breaking Bad title reference that probably came to mind for most of you.

Suzanna and I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the TV series, and are eager to watch each new episode of the final season as it becomes available on iTunes (thank you for the birthday present K!) Three weeks to go if I count correctly?

If so many people hadn’t been raving about Breaking Bad, I probably wouldn’t have invested time in watching every episode of the previous seasons on Netflix over the six months. I’m a queasy one, and the first episode with the bathtub scene came close to being the one and only that I watched. It was Suzanna who insisted (she’d watched the first few seasons while away at school) that the plotline was worth sticking with and I’ve not been disappointed. However, she does need to tell me when it’s okay to watch again after I’ve taken cover behind my hands when something gory pops up on screen.

I need to know how it ends. You’d think with so much going on here in our own home I’d have priorities other than wondering about Walter White’s destiny (and I do, but some of them I’d rather not be dealing with), but I really, really hope that I get to see the ending next month. And not just this show, I wish that TV execs would give special privileges to fans who might not be around to see the next season. I’m really, really good at keeping secrets!

Other shows that I’d love to see to the end are Mad Men, House of Cards, Nurse Jackie, Orange is the New Black, Homeland, The Newsroom and I can’t forget Downton Abbey. I’m sure I’m forgetting a few, friends have made some wonderful recommendations over the last months to help keep my mind occupied.

There’s one series that I’ve very grateful to have watched to the end, the subject of a few blog posts – The Big C. The show came up in conversation tonight with a dear friend, she’s part way through Season Two and I was careful not to let any spoilers slip. I really am good at keeping secrets I tell you!

The Big C storyline comes back to me often, in credit to the team that brought the show together. They did an incredible job of portraying the realities of facing one’s own death, and I’d like to find a way to let them know of the positive influence the show has had on how I choose to handle the challenges that come at me.

Call it a bucket list wish if you like, but I’m going to put this request out there and see what happens. I’d very much like to get a personal note of thanks out to the creative team behind the show, particularly Darlene Hunt and Laura Linney.

I’m not looking for a reply or favour of any sort, I’d just like to know that my thanks were directed to them personally rather than ending up in a stack of mail at an agent’s or manager’s office.

Six degrees of separation, hopefully far fewer. I’ve been reminded over the last few years that I know people, who know people, who know people,  and in this way some unexpected connections, opportunities and assistance have come my way. Can you help connect any dots on this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment