Monday, July 16, 2012

Can't Think of a Better Problem to Have

The view is pretty astounding from where I am at the moment. The majestic New York City skyline spreads out before me as I look out from midtown Manhattan down towards the Financial District. I'm straining to pick out the neighbourhoods I've familiarized myself with over the years as I've researched my trip to the Big Apple. It's a beautiful day and I've let myself get lost in the wonderous scene in front of me.

All this from the comfort of my bed. Across the room sits a most spectacular (and huge!) photo canvas, in a style of how I would likely have photographed the view had I been there to do it myself. With a fish eye lens, printed in black and white, capturing the wispy clouds as they waft by on an otherwise clear day.

The canvas, along with a beautiful note and an inspiring book for my daughter (with a heartfelt inscription) were waiting at the entrance of our temporary home when I came home from the hospital today. The note and inscription, unsigned.

Here's the wonderful problem. Although I think I might have narrowed the suspects down a bit by the handwriting and phrasing, I can't be certain of who presented us with these amazing gifts. It could be one of several women I'm so very lucky to count as my friends (not that a man wouldn't be this thoughful, but I suspect the lavender ribbon around the canvas and the smiley faces in the note were the work of the fairer sex).

Just when I think I'm pretty sure it's one friend, I allow myself to reconsider that it might be another. At first I though it must be a local friend, but then again I have some pretty darned ingenious friends who live far away who could have pulled off a surprise like this too.

Over the last hours I've let myself ponder over who this very thoughtful soul might be - but instead I'm going to marvel in the fact that I'm blessed to be in the positive of wondering at all.

Whomever you are, thank you. You must have your reasons for leaving these wonderful gifts anonymously, and I'll respect that. But know that when we have a place to call home, I'll be watching the faces of all those who visit me to see if you're scanning the apartment to see where I've hung this gorgeous photo. I promise you won't have to search very long at all, New York will be there for me to enjoy anytime I like. And thank you for including my daughter in your generosity (and by the enscription there was a solid clue that you've met her!)


To anyone else who contributes to the "New York Project", I do hope that you'll give me a chance to thank you directly. Friends (and friends-to-be) have gone to much trouble to launch my virtual adventure. Dear readers - please know that every contribution however brief is much appreciated. It all adds up to one heck of a collection of New York experiences that I'll treasure.

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous gift to come home to :). It sounds like it is perfect and you will cherish the way it was meant. Photos and stories can take you and your imagination places..... enjoy the journey.
    Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three cheers for the anonymous giver! It sounds like a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete