Thursday, July 12, 2012

R U Kidding?

My daughter tells me that I'm a really cool mom. High praise coming from an eighteen year old! But of course by using that title for my post I've just made myself totally uncool. Does not caring that it might appear uncool make my cool again? You'll have to ask her yourself :-)

Really though, a week we could have done without.

I'll start off with my daughter's car accident on Saturday. She'll be fine but it was quite a scare for us. Whiplash and her body reacted to the jostling with a fever that went over 104 degrees. Several times. Her first ride in an ambulance ensued (can we make that the last one too honey?) Lots of physio and massage therapy and she's on the mend. As for the car, it really didn't take it well either. Or rather my Visa didn't. Less than a week later and we can (sort of) laugh about it. But only a little bit.

Then there was my cardiac assessment today at Toronto Western, the news was not welcomed with open arms. I need to undergo an emergency specialized cardiac CT scan on Monday (and I have to forego chocolate in the meantime - simply unacceptable!), followed by a decision as to whether surgery is required. Those of us familar with Erdheim Chester Disease might know the term "coated aorta", and it's not a good thing. The only thing I want coated these days is the outside of me, with all this weight loss I'm shivering half the time even in the heat southern Ontario is dealing with. But on the upside - a roomful of doctors agreed that I'm just about ready to take the medical school entrance exam with all that I've learned during my many, many hospital visits. I speak English, some French and German and enough medical jargon to impress the chief resident. C'mon -for a lark let me just see how high I can score!

Almost six weeks now without a home. It's getting quite tiresome living out of a suitcase. At least once a day I think to myself "I'll go get my....oh, yeah - it's in storage" Grrrrrr. My daughter is being such a trouper over this situation but it weighs heavily on both of us. And although I know she loves me very much, sharing a small room and a bed with your mom isn't the most fun. One of us likes things quite neat, the other not so much. You might envision how I'm dropping down on the cool mom scale as each day passes.

This weekend I'll be trying to figure out how I'll kill lots of waiting time in hospitals  next week(Thursday will be spent at the cancer centre assessing surgery/radiation for pain management). There's only so much of Words with Friends (anyone wanna play with me?), Angry Birds, Plants vs. Zombies, Facebook, Twitter and Zite (thanks for the recommendation for that app D., it's as engrossing as you promised!) a girl can take.

Bring on tomorrow...but I won't turn down a completely boring day where my biggest concern is pondering whether my daughter thinks that the title to this post was indeed completely uncool :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment