Wednesday, June 13, 2012

"How Low Can You Go?" and Other Actemra Party Tricks

Please note that shortly I'll be changing this blog to a private one, requiring a password to view my posts. Some of you will already understand why. To be notified when it switches over, please email me at sessa1@live.ca and I'll provide you with a password.  I apologize in advance for the extra step, but I need this measure of privacy at this time.

Round three of my experimental treatment complete. And a complete failure.

As grateful as I was to have the opportunity to try this treatment (it had been financed by a very generous anonymous donor through Toronto Western Hospital after the government and private insurance refused to fund it), and had been deemed successful for a fellow ECD patient in the US) it wasn’t a lot of fun and I’m relieved that it’s over. For background on the difficulties of getting medications covered for rare disease, please take a listen to this CBC interview I did last year if you’ve not already heard it. You’ll be very grateful if nobody you care about is ever saddled with an illness that’s classified as rare. http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/episode/2011/03/11/rare-diseases/

One of the common side effects listed on the Actemra website/monograph is high blood pressure. Of course my body decided to do the complete opposite – the nurses who visited for the days following each treatment would get a look of shock in their eyes when taking my blood pressure. “How the heck are you still conscious Sandy?” That low.  “Let’s get you to the hospital if it drops one number lower” kind of low. Fainting and tumbling down the wood staircase kind of low.  I had started fainting again before the treatment, and this certainly wasn’t helping. I’ve scared my poor daughter out of her wits finding me at the bottom of the staircase in the middle of the night.

I almost didn’t even get the third infusion last week. The nurse took my blood pressure. And again. And a third time. It had dropped during the hour long infusion twice before and she was quite hesitant to continue. I however, wanted to at least see the three month trial continued to the end – maybe we’d be third time lucky? I asked my daughter who’d driven me for this infusion to say something that was sure to get me riled up – and she quickly piped up that there was something she’d been hiding from me. She’d gone ahead with the tattoo she’d previously promised to not get while I was still here. Sure enough, my blood pressure went up jussssst enough to proceed (and for the record - no tattoo  as yet, but her quick thinking was quite helpful!)

What other delights were in store? Third day in after each of the first two doses I clogged up the shower drain when a good handful of hair fell out. That was accompanied by a heart rate that was even more irregular than usual. Then came the 5-10 days of mouth ulcers each month – making eating and talking quite uncomfortable. Fevers, flu-like symptoms, blurred vision, fatigue – all especially not welcome as I was trying to pack our home for the move last week. And still no home to go to, I'm in temporary quarters (very welcoming quarters, but no home of our own on the radar yet). Bet you’re begging to trade places with me at this point!  

And NO pain relief – which was the objective of this experiment. I’d hazard to say it might even have worsened over the last months.

So came the expected decision Monday at the hospital.  And where do we go from here? Not far apparently. That’s a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment