Thursday, November 21, 2013

News that Has Been Busting to Get Out!

In past blog posts I’ve mentioned having unbelievable kindnesses bestowed upon myself and Suzanna. I’ve also spoken of new friends whom I’ve come to know only because of my illness.

Here is a story that I’ve been waiting to share for a very long time, and it’s with great joy and gratitude that I do.

Back in April (not long after discussions with the CBC to take part in the “Last Right” documentary were finalized) I received a call from Dee, a member of my palliative team who has become very dear to me and Suzanna.

It was Dee who arranged for me to speak last November with a group taking part in a training course for palliative care volunteers (I wrote about this experience on November 10th of last year).

When walking into the training room I immediately recognized a gentleman off to my left; he and I had met a few times at the luncheons I’d attended at the local hospice. It was reassuring to visit Ken’s familiar face as I tried to make eye contact with everyone in the room during the course of the group discussion.

Going back to that call in April, Dee told me that Ken had asked permission to contact me directly, there was a gift that he wished to offer to me and Suzanna. Intriguing to say the least!

I can finally tell all of you what this gift was, and it’s a tremendously thoughtful and a very generous one.

Many times over the years readers and friends have suggested that this blog be turned into a book, and dear Ken is turning this idea into reality.

There have been a few of us diligently working as a team to create the book, which will include a few extra components that are not part of this on-line blog.

I can’t yet give you a publication date for “Without a Manual”, but be assured that Ken and the publishing team are making provisions to have it available for purchase as soon as possible.

A portion of the profits from the sale of each book will be directed to organizations which have helped us get through the years since my diagnosis. The book will be available as hardcover, softcover and eBook; at numerous venues (including directly from the publisher – this latter option allowing for a greater portion of the purchase price to be directed as donations).

Although I won’t be writing any more of the posts in the format that you’ve come to follow here on the blog, we will still be using this blog to keep all of you updated on personal news (I promised long ago that my readers would be not left without an end to this story), as well letting you know the publication date and other pertinent details.

I’ve hinted that although I’ve been confined to bed for almost a year that it’s still been quite busy around here – now you know all of the secrets I’ve been keeping!

Our overwhelming gratitude goes out to Ken, his family and other friends who’ve enthusiastically jumped on board to allow me to add published author to my life’s resume. What a ride it has been, angels all around me.

9 comments:

  1. Sandy that is fantastic! I'm looking forward to the CBC piece on Monday, and now the book! I'm pretty sure I was in Ken's class the night you so graciously shared with us, it was a moment in time I will not soon forget. I'm so grateful for all the updates, and for you sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for all of this (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy I have just watched the taping on CBC. How brave you are, but as a mother, what else can you do. What i want to know is what can we, your former peers at Company of Women do to help Suzanna?

    Anne Day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy Armstrong McKayNovember 25, 2013 at 8:53 PM

    Sandy; I just watched your CBC story, with my heart in my throat. So proud of you, but unbelievably sad. You are one of the most amazing women I have ever "met". You and your daughter are so beautiful in every way! I send you much love, all my support, thoughts and prayers..always..take good care of you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy - I just watched and listened to your story. How moving ... I also enjoyed viewing your artwork on your website, particularly your florals and infrared images but also those beautiful portraits of young people. You followed your passion and your passion for creating images comes through clearly. You deserve the opportunity to have your artwork immortalized in print. This is something Suzanna will cherish forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sandy,
    I just watched your story on CBC - so very touching. My own mom passed away after a lengthy battle with a terminal illness, and I too, put my life "on hold" for over a year to care for her. I never regretted a moment that I spent with her, and in hindsight, wouldn't change a thing. Clearly, you and your daughter share a deep bond and there's nowhere else she'd rather be right now. As a daughter whose own mother invested so much into my life and loved me unconditionally, it was a privilege to give back to her during her illness. Undoubtedly, these are hard, yet precious moments. May God bless you both as you walk this road together. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Sandy & Suzanna! You were both amazing last night. I had a lump in my throat just watching you both. I have been honoured to know you... even just a little bit. Thank you for your courage and patience. Thank you for your example of love and devotion. Thank you for your generosity and kindness. The show was very thoughtful and clear. Well done CBC. I pray that you are able to die as you have lived- with dignity and freedom. I will always hold you in my heart. I love you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you know that you are an incredibly articulate , talented , and amazing woman , mother , and person all round . I wish that more of the people in the world were as clear , precise , and open as you are . As I said on FB , I still want you to " Rage , rage against the dying of the light .Add one more angel to your flock .. me ....Cy

    ReplyDelete