Wednesday, January 23, 2013

What Can Happen in 91 Hours?

In my last post I mentioned that my dearest friend came for a visit from the east coast, she flew out again this morning. Three visits in the last year, but I must admit this trip we got up to the most trouble -  without me ever leaving the apartment!

S. and I have a friendship that spans just shy of twenty five years. During that time we’ve both been through some difficult times, yet we’ve never let the many miles between us get in the way of strengthening our relationship. She’s been my rock (especially throughout the last two years), unwavering in her support, love and encouragement.

The last three trips have had their bittersweet moments. In the spring we met with the funeral planner to make my final arrangements. She helped me pack up my belongings in the house that I had so dearly loved living in and found so hard to leave. In December she came, knowing that my daughter and I were having a very difficult time facing Christmas (which in the end we pretty much ignored, it was just too painful to take on this year).

This trip she ran numerous errands for me with the help of other friends, including getting my sweet kitten neutered yesterday. The poor lad is not all impressed by the cone he has to wear for two weeks; he startles himself each time he passes the mirrored closet in the hall. Last night he had two women cooing and cuddling him, perhaps a fantasy for a few other men out there?

There are tough discussions to be had. She knows every detail of what has to happen, and what I hope to have happen at the end. Often the tears flow when we have these talks; I know I can trust her to be there for me and make decisions that are best for me and my daughter. There is simply no doubt about that, given the way the last two years have played out it’s a blessing that never goes unappreciated.

It can’t be all sombre though, can it? Saturday a few friends and my daughter joined us in my “boudoir” to make it a memorable and enjoyable evening. Great food, amazing company, more than a few laughs. With a sly wink it was suggested that it was the best time some of us have had in bed in a long time.

S. and I were on our own for the last two nights. There just isn’t any other way to put it – sheer goofiness set sail on Monday night! No booze, drugs or other mind altering substances – just two friends between which there are no walls. And no judgement thankfully either!

With permission (if I’m to be honest, it was with insistence!) I’ve including a photo that was snapped, let’s just say that we were on a mission for creative new applications for medical equipment. And no, it’s not a photo of me (I can’t reach my toes anymore to be doing a pedicure, just getting socks on is an adventure most days!)

Complete and utter silliness. Exactly what I needed a good dose of.

 

oximeterfun

1 comment:

  1. i am so happy to have finally had the chance to meet S this time around! and i am glad you got a dose of laughter, just what the doctor ordered. it was such a privilege to have been a part of the bedroom gang with so many great people :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete