Friday, January 25, 2013

Gratitude–Issue # ?

I’ve lost track along the way of how many posts I’ve entitled Gratitude. I hope that in reading my blog you understand just how much of it I feel towards the friends and volunteers who’ve stepped in to ease my journey. It’s the little things, it’s the big things, and all things in between. It’s the things that friends aren’t maybe even aware of doing that can help (tonight it was a hug that was held just a little tighter and longer than usual when saying goodbye).

Tonight was my first night as a recipient of a meal prepared by the volunteer organization Food Train, they’ll be providing me with meals twice a week going forward. Tonight’s dinner was actually more like six meals, lots extra for the freezer! The organizer ensured that all my dietary restrictions were covered off, and asked detailed questions about what I like and what I don’t care so much for. And she also insisted that if a craving for anything struck I was to be sure to let them know. If tonight’s homemade vegetarian gluten free lasagna is any indication, my belly will be very grateful several nights a week!

It’s no secret that I really don’t like living in this apartment. Nothing I seem to do makes being here any easier. I suspect not having left my apartment in many weeks really hasn’t helped matters (do I even remember what outdoor air feels like?) However, I made it a mission this week to appreciate some of the things within these four walls.  Here goes.

Hot water straight out of the tap. In the old house it could take a few minutes for the hot water to travel up to the second floor, and it would most certainly run out before the bath was full. Here, in less than a second beckoned hot water arrives. And it lasts for a good long shower, that’s the one activity that I make sure I save energy for every day. These days I have to use a seat in the tub – I’m grateful to have that too.

Delicious smelling soaps, shower gels, hand and body lotions. They make those showers all the better. Almond, chocolate, orange-vanilla, raspberry creme, coconut and even fortune cookie scent. I’ve been mightily spoiled over the holidays. If they tasted as good as they smell you might catch me licking my forearm when I thought you weren’t looking. I’ll leave that job to the kitten, he’s especially fond of raspberry creme, it’s hard to get him to leave it where I’ve applied it!

The Turtledoves Gluten Free Bakery treats on my counter and in the freezer. I’ve never set foot in their shop, but thoughtful friends keep me stocked with their amazing treats. Friday is Cheese Bread day, and along comes K. today with a loaf having heard how much I love it. Toasted, with Nutella. You’re welcome to grimace, but until you’ve tried it, don’t knock it! And the lemon squares may or may not survive until breakfast…

Bamboo sheets. If you’re going to have to spend most of your time in bed, I highly recommend them. The softest sheets I’ve ever owned. Gratitude too for the PSWs and friends who change the sheets for me often so I can have a fresh bed several times a week.

Almond vanilla linen mist. Again, if you have to spend lots of time in bed, sheets with a favourite scent make it a little more pleasant. I go to sleep with my bedding smelling of marzipan. When I wake up from a nightmare I find it helps to have a scent that I love surrounding me. It’s like a litmus test for the subconscious, certainly it wouldn’t smell so delicious if the bad guys were really there in the room with me?

Photos of my daughter. She’s not thrilled that there’s a photo of her on every wall of the bedroom but I’m afraid this is one battle she’s not going to win. There’s nothing I’d rather look at if I can’t have the live version sitting here with me.

Many of the items listed above are here only because of the generosity of friends. Please don’t mistake this post as a request for more of anything, the apartment is well stocked at the moment (especially with Nutella!) Just an exercise in appreciating the little things in a challenging environment.

2 comments:

  1. i love our visits and if a little treat here and there put a smile on your face .... all the better ;) although i must admit i do cringe thinking of cheese bread with nutella! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried cheese bread and nutella, but I think that little bit of salty cheese would make a good combination.... I think it could work :).

    I am so happy to hear about the meal program. It sounds like it could be a very good thing, especially with left overs :).

    I know you hate your place, but on days like today enjoy the warm while looking at all the big snowflakes outside...... while nibbling on lemon squares :),

    ReplyDelete