Wednesday, February 3, 2010

As long as it's not the "C" word

Not quite as tired as I have been the last week, and getting quite a bit of work done today (not the "running after small children taking their picture" kind of work that I would prefer to be doing, it's image retouching on my computer but work nonetheless). Hurray!

I had an appt to have a bone density scan done at a local hospital a few weeks ago, and a comment that the technician offhandedly offered continues to bother me a bit. I was having the scan done to see if the steroids have caused bone density loss, and she asked if my medical status had changed since my last scan two years ago. I briefly updated her on Erdheim-Chester Disease, and mentioned that she might see a bone lesion on my femur on the scan - and not to be alarmed, I'm aware of it.

The technician asked if it was cancer. I said no, ECD isn't officially classified as cancer - it's usually described as an auto-immune illness yet often treated by oncologists. She told me that I should consider myself very lucky that it wasn't cancer, and thank goodness I could look forward to a long life unlike many cancer patients. Hello? Were you listening to me?

I've gotten this reaction a few times. As long as it isn't cancer. How fortunate for you!

Frankly, a fair number of cancers have a much better prognosis than ECD. And most have a course of treatment to follow. ECD doesn't have this yet. Some positive development with some drugs, but it appears to be mostly trials and investigative attempts at this time. Nothing close to a cure (and I'll be happy to correct this should one of the many researchers working on this illness let me know about any new developments!) :-)

When my orthopaedic oncologist first saw my scans last year, his guess was that the lesion was 1st stage bone cancer. He felt confident that if this were the case it could be successfully and quickly treated. I can't tell you how often in the last year I've wished that this had been the diagnosis.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Sessa,

    Glad you're feeling a bit more energetic this week. Yes, I imagine it must be very frustrating with so few people having ever heard of ECD. I confess to having gone online to learn more about it. Just remember that, as someone diagnosed with this rare disease, the real expert on ECD is YOU, and you are in the unique position of being able to educate the public through your blog--and doing a fine job of it, I might add.

    Hugs,

    Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sessa,

    I came across your blog from the ECD website. My father was diagnosed two years ago with ECD and it's good to be able to hear what other people are going though, so I thank you for writing this. Believe it or not, we are from Burlington, Ontario as well. Small world when you think about how few people are out there dealing with this (though my parents relocated to Vancouver four years ago). It has been a battle, though we are grateful for the occasional "good days" that come our way. Sounds like you have a terrific support system with your husband and daughter. I wish you all the best.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a small world Kate! Might you be comfortable in communicating privately? I was only aware of one other Canadian patient, I'm very curious about how your father is doing - where he's being treated (and with which meds) etc.

    If so, we'll figure out a way to get in touch without making info public. If not I completely respect your wish for privacy. In any case, best wishes to your dad and your family. Thanks for getting in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sessa,

    I forwarded the messages to my mom and she is very interested in discussing treatments, etc. with you. my father is currently taking interferon (been on this for two years), but is considering a change. i know my mother would welcome a chance to correspond with you as we have not yet spoken to anyone else with ECD. her email address is marylottridge[at]gmail.com - hope it's okay to post that here. best wishes, and we hope you're surviving the ontario winter!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sessa,

    I always look forward to your blog posts. You are kind, generous, brave and quite the inspiration.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete