Wednesday, June 30, 2010

No excuses, well maybe just one!

Although the prognosis for ECD can be a rathering depressing prospect, I'm trying to stay optimistic about being around for quite awhile. Mind you, when I first learned of my diagnosis my husband I did make some preparations with our lawyer and bank, it seemed like the rational thing to do.

But beyond that, I continue to try to grow my business (I can work infrequently, but it's a joy when I can!) , to keep learning, to make plans (although it's like trying to nail jello to a wall at times). I detest being a burden on anyone but the reality is that I can't do many activities that I once could. So, we hired a cleaning lady to come in every two weeks and from time to time I have to pay someone to take care of chores that I can no longer manage. But I try. I really do try to do what I can - cooking, laundry etc. No excuses.

A big crossword fan, I love spending the last half hour of the day doing a puzzle or two. The really hard ones. The ones with the five stars, the ones marked as challenging - I love making my brain work (or more accurately my memory!). I used to persevere until every last square was done, and I'll admit to cheating now and again with a peek to back of the book. Shame on me, but I just couldn't start a new puzzle until the old was done!

Things are different now. If I'm not enjoying the puzzle theme, or just don't feel like finishing - I don't. Move on to the next puzzle (I work from the books with hundreds to choose from), leave squares open and blank. I think I might be driving my husband a little crazy with this, he's a die-hard "finisher"!

But I tell myself, I'm sick - I can do what I want. For only this one little thing. Puzzles. Everything else? Keep plugging away...

No comments:

Post a Comment