Thursday, December 17, 2009

What Next?

A few weeks ago I wrote about my hopes to be able to photograph a very special event this past weekend. The family booked me eighteen months ago, at that time I had no idea of the challenges that lay ahead.

I shared the details of my health situation with my client a few months ago, and insisted that they permit me to book another photographer given that my health was increasingly inconsistent. They'd hear nothing of it, and said that they were confident that I would be feeling great. I did book another photographer on retainer; the thought of letting them down was too uncomfortable.

We worked with my doctor to adjust my meds to give me the best chance of being able to fulfill my commitment, and I'm very happy to report that it worked! I felt in top form last Saturday, and for almost nine hours/3000 shots later - I documented a very special day in this special family's life. I'm truly grateful!

However, I was somewhat surprised to feel quite down the next day. For almost a year I've been focused on being okay for December 12th, discussing it frequently with my doctor (who fully supported the med adjustments), had friends and family rooting for me. But now it was over, and I'm feeling a bit lost. What do I work towards now?

There are the milestones such as my daughter's graduation from high school, our five year wedding anniversary and more- but I need something else that focuses on a personal accomplishment. Not too far off, but further away than the next few months (the rest of my prednisone taper has to happen first. From my experience of the last few months I know that this could be a rough ride, I've been so happy to stop the taper for a few weeks to feel somewhat normal for a bit).

It definitely won't be photographing an event - I can't go through that stress again of praying to be well enough for a date that can't be rescheduled if I'm ill.

This is going to take some thought. I'm thinking, and I'll let you know what I come up with.

6 comments:

  1. Sessa,

    Whatever goal you decide to work toward, may it give you the pleasure you so deserve. So happy your shoot went well--I'm sure the results are fantastic. BTW, Happy upcoming 5th anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Tessa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sessa, I came across your blog as my husband has just been diagnosed with ECD after 20 months of tests. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to connect with you - my e'mail is deborahbakti@mac.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i too have just been diagnosed with ecd. diagnosis #4 but I just have a mas on my brain stem... lots of pseudo symptoms, :) Nothing real.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. How are you and your daughter doing with all of this? Sending my best wishes.

    ReplyDelete