Monday, November 9, 2009

Doing Laundry - My Big Accomplishment

A few weeks back I had a great week. I was able to photograph several families, and got quite a bit of personal shooting in too - during the best week for fall colours no less!

Then I crashed. Hate, hate, hate prednisone. Did I say how much I hate it? I'm in that phase where my adrenal glands are supposed to kick in and work on their own again to deliver cortisol as required, but they don't seem to want to do that. I'm not a lazy person, but apparently my adrenal system doesn't know that.

I've been grounded. Even taking a shower seems like a monumental task on most days, and my proudest moment has been mustering enough energy to do a few loads of laundry. Although the steroids didn't seem to affect my moods negatively in the first few months, I feel overwhelmed by sadness on some days. This is so very hard on my family and I feel terrible for putting them through all this. This isn't me, and I'm wondering where I've gone.

I debate this morning whether to call my doctor. I'm pretty sure that he'd tell me to up my dosage and try tapering again in another week or so - but, I'm really determined to get off this poison as soon as possible and want to try sticking it out for a few more days.

So, forgive me if I'm being a bit cranky and not replying to emails quickly. I'm feeling sorry for myself and finding it difficult to be happy about anything right now. I'm going to blame the steroids because despite everything we're going through I know there's a happy person underneath all this - I'm just waiting somewhat impatiently for her to emerge again.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear you've been going through a bad spell again Sessa. And considering how you've been feeling, doing laundry IS a big accomplishment. Take heart, and I sincerely hope improvement is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always in my thoughts Sessa. Hang in there. Do what you can and take pride in it. I am sure improvement is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete